In This Issue
We take a look at what Prets Director of Food, Caroline Cromar had to say at the recent lunch! show.
International Sandwich and Snack News magazine is the official journal of the British Sandwich Association (BSA), the UK body representing Sandwich makers, suppliers and retailers.
The magazine is published six times a year and distributed to retail buyers, caterers, sandwich bars and associated businesses in the industry.
- A tribunal has dismissed Subway’s appeal over VAT charged on hot food. Its franchisees now potentially face the prospect of having to charge 20% VAT on hot products such as its ‘meatball marinara,' that were previously zero rated.
- SOLWAY Foods’ Manton Wood sandwich manufacturing site is said to have seen significant assembly line ingredient waste reduction following the installation of Marco Yield Control and Line Control Modules.
- Artisan sandwich bar Cook & Garcia opened in Richmond, London five months ago, one of the few independents on the high street there. Business is starting to build in spite of the recession, none of the expected boost in trade from the Olympics and one of the wettest July’s in history! Simon Ambrose checked them out.
- Charlotte Yates recently decided to turn her craving to cook and love of feeding friends into a full-time quality sandwich van business. One Jiffy Truck and a gourmet sandwich menu later and she’s already achieved her six months sales targets and is wowing customers in the Burton-on-Trent area.
- The Autism Initiatives charity has just opened a made-to-order sandwich bar in Southport, following the success of its coffee bar in the town, becoming one of the first such enterprises in the UK to move into takeaway sandwiches.
- It’s not often that Pret opens up about its working practices, so a presentation by Caroline Cromar, Pret’s Director of Food, at the recent lunch! show, proved to be particularly illuminating.
- The first in-depth study of its kind, the Sodexo Lunch at Work report has been produced by Allegra Strategies to provide a detailed and authoritative report on the eating behaviours at lunch, of adults at work. Simon Stenning, Allegra Strategies’ foodservice strategy director, delivered the findings at a recent lunch! show presentation. Simon Ambrose reports.
Sandwich Designer of the Year 2013
- Could you join the ranks of the designer elite by winning next year’s competition?